No trip to China could ever be complete without setting foot in the capital city of Beijing. It’s a politically-charged city, where the people there are most often on the up-and-up for interesting discussions that delve beyond the city’s food, which they will also talk your ear off about. Think of it like the Washington, DC of China if you will.
Of course, there’s so much to do and see while teaching English in Beijing, it might just be overwhelming. There’s no way to do it all in one week, or even one month. But if you’re lucky enough to stay in Beijing for a while (teach in Beijing for example), you can create a Beijing bucket list of sorts and check off everything you get to try out. Here are some suggestions.
Facts About Beijing: Basic Stats
- Population: 16 million
- Public Transportation: 1 international airport, 4 major train stations, 14 subway lines, thousands of bus routes & taxis
- Language: Mandarin
- Climate: Four distinct seasons
- Expats: has one of the largest expat communities in China
- Nightlife: limitless opportunities to go out to explore, check out the Beijinger for more inspirations
- Food: great variety, lots of food festivals, quite cheap
Cost of Living
- A regular meal in a restaurant: 30 RMB – 50 RMB
- Fruits for a week: 50 RMB
- Dine out with friends: 50 – 100 RMB
- Public transport (bus or train): 4 RMB (one -way); monthly pass (200 RMB)
- Taxi: Start (normal tariff) 13 RMB, 1km (normal tariff) 2.4 RMB Movie ticket: 50 RMB
- Drinking outside: 10 RMB per beer; 50 RMB – 100 RMB spirit
- Average monthly salary: RMB 5,000 – RMB 9,000
It’s definitely a city that can compare to lots of metropolitan cities in the world, and it can only be more intriguing because of its fast-developing speed. Everything happens and everything is new. Teaching in Beijing is for those big city lovers who are always curious.
Teach English in Beijing, Start Your Journey Today!
Things to Do in Beijing
Visit the Great Wall
Once you get settled in, you simply must book a tour to visit the Great Wall. It is the most famous of all the famed landmarks in China and standing upon it is one of the most glorious experiences you’ll ever have in your life. There are many tours you can embark on, but going with a renowned and well-reviewed tour group will make your experience even better. It’s just outside the city, so prepare yourself to make a day of it as the bus ride there takes between an hour and a half and two hours.
See the other landmarks
While the Great Wall is just outside of Beijing, it’s still associated with Beijing. If you have some free time on any given day you’re in Beijing, seeing one of the local landmarks is encouraged. Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City, Badaling, and the Temple of Heaven are just a few places you’ll want to explore. You can take the subway to these locations, making them even easier to knock off your list of things to see and do in Beijing.
Make friends with other expats
Unlike other cities you may find work in when you move to China, you will find that Beijing has one of the best and friendliest expat groups in the country. The crowd is diverse too, with people hailing from different backgrounds and careers. It’s not all teachers so you’ll meet other people who can help you and have an interesting array of friends.
It’s a delicious place to be
Perhaps one of the best things about being in Beijing is the food. The food is absolutely amazing. If you adore the Chinese restaurant around the corner from your home in the states, you’ll feel most at home with the cuisine in Beijing because it is most similar to it. Roast duck is one of the most famed dishes here and there are plenty of places to get it. Some are intensely upscale and expensive while others are casual and affordable. To find the best one in any class, watch where all the Chinese go. The places with the longest lines are usually the best and are worth the wait.
Other unusual things to do in Bejing >>
Typical Teaching Jobs in Beijing
Teaching English in China Guide >>
- Have Obtained a Bachelor Degree
- Passport Holders Of United Kingdom, United States, Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand Or South Africa
- The Ability To Obtain A Clear Background Check
- Teaching Experience Is Preferred But Not Required
Salary & Benefits
- Monthly salary: 10,000 RMB ~ 25,000 RMB
- Accommodation support (provided or allowances)
- Flight reimbursement
- Work visa support
- Cultural and social activities
- Career progression opportunities
- Local support
Teach English in Beijing
Browse more teaching jobs in Beijing , China!