Teach English in Xiamen
Beautiful Island City in The South
Xiamen Overview Why Teach in Xiamen?
As an island city, Xiamen has long been known as a popular travel destination, but nowadays, it is transforming into a sophisticated city that people are flocking to more and more.
Its unique attractiveness may come from the charm of water lapping up onto the shores, where interesting promenade or European architect stand.
Check out the things to do to gain a glimpse into the cultures and traditions of Xiamen. Once visitors see these sights, they will be ready to return in the future to experience even more of this beautiful destination.
If you visit a nearby Island called Gulangyu Island, this vehicle-free island is the perfect getaway for many people. Everyone must take the ferry over to the island, which is about a five-minute ride. Once over there, most people spend their time wandering along the small streets, as they admire the architecture and the beautiful gardens filled with flowers. Of course, everyone must also stop into the Shuzhuang Garden and Piano Museum and visit the Sunlight Rock when they are on the island.
Facts about Xiamen
- Population: 3,531,347
- Public Transportation: externally 1 international airport, direct buses, and trains to other major cities, ferries to other islands nearby; internally frequent regular buses and sightseeing buses, cheap taxies, bicycle rentals are popular
- Language: Mandarin, Local Directs
- Climate: subtropical
- Expats: growing community
- Nightlife: apart from vibrant bars and pubs, traditional local nightlife is also quite attractive (opera, night market, etc.)
- Food: representing Fujian/Hokkien cuisine, food in Xiamen features fresh seafood and herbal meals
Living in Xiamen
COST OF LIVING IN Xiamen
- A regular meal in a restaurant: 10 RMB – 20 RMB
- Fruits for a week: 50 RMB
- Dine out with friends: 50 RMB – 120 RMB
- Public transport (bus): 1 RMB for a one-way ticket, 50 RMB for a monthly pass
- Taxi: Start (normal tariff) 10 RMB, 1km (normal tariff) 2 RMB
- Movie ticket: 37.5 RMB
- Drinking outside: 6 RMB for domestic beer, 20 RMB for imported beer
- Average monthly salary: RMB 3,000 – RMB 5,000
Teaching in Xiamen Experience
- Have Obtained Bachelor Degree
- English Level: Native Proficiency
- Passport Holders Of United Kingdom, United States, Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand Or South Africa
- The Ability To Obtain A Clear Background Check
- Ability To Live Abroad For At Least One Year
- Teaching Experience Is Preferred But Not Required
- Local experiences: cultural and social activities organised by placement providers
- Chinese language: free lessons organised by placement providers
- Travelling: travel and experience China in a local way during weekends and holidays
Helping others grow. Teach in Xiamen.
Education Can Change The World
learning more about life in Xiamen
Xiamen city guide
Things to do when you are in Xiamen:
Visit the Hulishan Fortress
The Hulishan Fortress has been in place on the southern end of Xiamen for more than a century now and visitors can explore much of the granite castle when they are there. The favorite destinations within the castle include the ammunition depot, the commanding tower, and the barracks.
Visit the Nanjing Earth Buildings
There are more than fifteen thousand earth buildings within Nanjing County, so visitors will have an excellent chance of stumbling upon at least one of them! Most of the earth buildings are round, but there are a few that are different shapes and include turriform shapes, umbrella shapes, fan shapes, and plenty more. The largest earth building is Shuyang Shunyu and it has four floors with a total of two hundred and eighty-eight rooms. The smallest earth building is Cuilin and that one only has thirty-six rooms. The most famous of the earth buildings though are Hekeng Cluster and Tianluokemg Tulou Cluster.
Visit Jimei School Village
This massive school village was founded back in 1913 by philanthropist, Tan KahKee. Within this village, visitors will see kindergarten classrooms, primary schools, secondary schools, colleges, and universities. Amongst all those schools are the most fascinating sights though and they include the Returnees Garden, the Turtle Garden, and the home where Mr. Tan KahKee lived.
Visit South Putuo Temple
This temple is one of the must-see attractions within Xiamen, mostly because it is surrounded by both the Wulao Peaks and the sparkling sea. Those who take the time to visit will find themselves inside the Hall of Heavenly Kings Daxiong Hall and the Hall of Great Compassion. Numerous Buddhist scriptures, images, and ivory sculptures are currently being stored within the Pavilion area.